Monday, December 12, 2011

The Legend of Laura

I think all people love things with their names on it. Anytime I see stationary with "Laura" across the top, I have to have it, though I can't remember the last time I've actually used stationary for the purposes of writing a nice letter or something. I get pissed when I see bookmarks or magnets or environmentally friendly shopping bags that skip from Lana to Lauren. I still have my name necklace, though unfortunately it's more JLo (the P Diddy years) than Carrie Bradshaw. I get excited when compilation CDs have Laura (by Scissor Sisters, Frank Sinatra, Billy Joel, Christopher Cross, Girls, Flogging Molly) on them. If it can be monogrammed, I must have it. Even better if it's by Laura Ashley. I don't think I'm alone in this.

Which is why I got really excited when, while flipping through a Prague Ghosts & Legends book in the castle gift shop, I found the tale of Laura, the Headless Lady. Laura's haunting grounds are the area around the former convent of St. Mary Magdalene. She was once a beautiful actress who performed at the Nostic Theater (now the Estates Theater), and had won the heart of a wealthy count, despite being married to a horrible and jealous husband. Said count offered to whisk her away and marry her, and eventually Laura succumbed. However, hubby was on to her and questioned her about her whereabouts when she came home, and decided her answers weren't quite up to snuff, so he chopped off her head. And if that wasn't bad enough, he then sent poor Laura's head to the count, who buried it in fear. So now Laura roams the convent, searching for her missing bits. Which I think is quite fitting, as I tell my students constantly that I'd lose my head if it wasn't attached.

Not quite monogrammed pink and green plaid stationary, but exciting nonetheless!

No comments:

Post a Comment