Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Trail of Tear(drop Earrings)

The horrendous freeze has left us and I have been running around the city, leaving a trail of single earrings in my wake. Mysteriously, it seems that it is only the gold earrings that my body rejects. Which is a terrible, terrible shame as am currently on a major gold kick and now must constantly stop at the mall to keep buying the same pair of earrings over and over and over again. I realize this is a total #firstworldproblems rant, and so I will shut up.

We've been keeping quite busy, doing all types of wonderful fun things all over the city in the past few weeks. I dragged a somewhat reluctant Peej to see one of my former student's bands play at a club called Futurum. It was the CD "baptism" party for them & another band - both of whom were amazing. You can check out my student's band at www.pankix.cz (use Google Chrome as is all in Czech) - I have been blasting "Ugly Boy" on my iPod ever since. Peej & I looked totally out of place - we were dressed to impress (well, me especially) while everyone else was rocking out in neon and sneakers and completely sensible clothes for such an event. Whatever - one can never be overdressed or overeducated (thank you, Oscar Wilde). In addition to great music, there was also a fashion show, during which the pair of us nearly died of laughter. The models were very... intense. Yes, that's a nice way to put it. Intense. Some people have watched Zoolander a bit too much - it's not reference material people! (Though it needs to be said, again: Czech women are ridiculously, insanely, hate-inducingly gorgeous. Lucky bitches.)

Next up was a bearded birthday surprise dinner for our favorite fuzzy faced roommate, Andrew. We headed to Restaurace Adriatico for Italian noms and fake beards created by Meghan and Tara in the birthday boy's honor. Some of us seemed a bit tooooo comfortable in them...


Last Thursday we all enjoyed a very leisurely lunch at Maitrea, a vegetarian restaurant in Old Town. Now, anyone who knows me knows I am quite the fan of a junior bacon cheeseburger and would probably be the world's crankiest pain in the ass if I never ate meat, but this place is amazing. The food is insanely good, the portions are huge, and the prices are cheap. Had Thai eggplant with jasmine rice and seared tofu and it may have been the best thing I've eaten since I got here. Am also very happy that I have somewhere to take Nikki when she comes to visit the land of sausages and fried cheese. :)

Later that night, a few of us went to what we thought was a hockey party but ended up being a club, Sacre Coeur. The space was awesome - it's a huge church that is totally gorgeous, and all the lasers and fog made it rather eery, but in a cool way. The crowd, however, was rather interesting. Ignoring the fact that I was the oldest person there other than the (horrendous) DJ, we hit every single type of person - prepsters, metal heads, skaters, punks, glamazons, nerds - you name it, they were all there. Crazy cheap drinks and dancing but way too late of a night when you have an 8am class the next day!

Friday was speed dating. There are so many things that I can say about this that it's going to require it's own post, so expect that shortly. To summarize though, it was exactly as funny and ridiculous and awful as I expected it to be.

As it is now 00:03, my vegetarian week with Peej officially kicks off. I don't know if we are doing this for health reasons, to counteract all the deep-fried food Andrew's been whipping up with his new birthday present, or to have a legitimate excuse to go to Maitrea on a daily basis, but we'll see how it goes. I cooked a family dinner tonight as our meaty send-off. Had chicken in a brown sugar, ginger and garlicky marinade with rice and mass amounts of salad. Was delish. Also made Daikon Curried soup today, which sounds rather exotic but is largely the result of a lack of resources. It was originally meant to be Cauliflower Curry soup, but could not find cauliflower. Daikon, however, not a problem. I didn't actually know what it was when I picked it up at the potraviny - it was just white, which for some reason was a good enough reason for me. Luckily, it turned out fabulously, and it's super easy so I am going to make it all the time. Perhaps with other mystery veggies from the potraviny as well...

Daikon Curried Soup:

  • Chop one onion (mine was rather small) and put in a stock pot with three cups of water and some salt and pepper. Add one tablespoon of minced ginger and simmer/boil until the onions are tender (about 10 minutes).
  • Add in two cups of chopped daikon (or whatever mystery vegetable strikes your fancy) and cook through. 
  • Add one tablespoon of curry powder and one cup of coconut milk.
  • Remove from heat and puree in a blender til smooth & creamy. 
I topped mine with a bit more salt and some red pepper flakes, but cilantro would be delish, maybe some lime, whatever. Nomnomnom. 

Now have to come up with some vegetarian recipes as have no intention of spending the whole week living off pasta and salad. Any suggestions anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment