Monday, January 16, 2012

A Decent Start

Halfway through January & doing a fairly decent job of tackling those resolutions.

  • Attempted to make bramboraky (potato pancakes). I say attempted, because the final result was definitely closer to hash browns than a delightful Czech side dish. Still delicious though! (I mean really, how bad can it be?)
  • In an attempt to eat like a mature, responsible person and not a college student, and also trying not to get scurvy, made a scrumptious veggie soup full of nutrients and healthy things. Promptly decided that veggie soup alone is boring, so dumped a ton of cheese on top. Much better. (Hey, dairy is important also.)
  • Out of sheer desperation and boredom, and also a compromise for not having to go outside in the cold, have been bopping around getting a workout at home. Thankfully there is no one living underneath us to wonder at who is stomping around and collapsing on the floor when a) I trip over my own feet, or b) my muscles give out. 
  • The last few days are not indicative of admirable sleeping habits. But they're weekends, so it doesn't count. Everyone knows that's the rule.
  • Thank you to Tristan for hooking me up with a German learning tool. Soon I will be sprechen with the best of 'em. Also have first meeting of language swap this week, so hopefully will expand my Czech beyond hello, goodbye, thank you, beer, one, and take out. 
  • Due to a visa fiasco, my trip to Budapest had to be cancelled (ughhhh). Will have plenty more opportunities to travel though. Did I replace a weekend full of sightseeing in Hungary with something cultural at home? Ehhhhhhhh, no. I bar hopped around to the same places we normally go to and then watched the Giants game. Though, in my defense, I did watch the game at a bar which has over 200 communist artifacts, so that's something. 
  • Have accepted the sad, sad fate that I am not likely to meet the man of my dreams as we both reach for the same carton of mushrooms at Billa or when I fall out of a tram and into his arms (though that's definitely the more realistic of the two). These meet-cutes (helllllo, Arthur Abbott and The Holiday reference) are rather unlikely, and definitely hindered by a certain language barrier. And so, I've joined Metrodate, the only English language dating site in the CR. Have sneaky suspicion it's largely full of perverts and weirdos (and this theory is quickly being proven correct), but in any case, I'm sure it will be good for a laugh. 
Let the games begin!

Resolution #1: Uggg - will obviously lose 20 lbs. #2: Always put last night's panties in the laundry basket. Equally important: will find nice sensible boyfriend and stop forming romantic attachments to any of the following: alcoholics, workaholics, sexaholics, commitment-phobics, peeping toms, megalomaniacs, emotional fuckwits, or perverts. Will especially stop fantasizing about a particular person who embodies all these things. - Bridget Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment