Monday, November 19, 2012

A Day Late, A Koruna Short

Okay, three days late. It was the weekend. Was recovering from Thursday's escapades and eating horrendously spicy things at the chili pepper festival, and then home improvement shopping (i.e., buying more containers. As Donut says, IKEA probably has a alarm rigged to go off whenever I'm in the vicinity.). So here I am, slightly late (nothing new) and with a lot to catch up on. So here goes...

What's one thing you most wish you were great at?
Why one? I want to be great at all things!


  • Singing. Because here I disprove the rule that practice makes perfect.
  • Speaking Czech. Because here I don't  know if practice makes perfect, because I don't.
  • Making bank. Because, obviously.
What has been the most difficult thing you've had to forgive?

Easy - being put far down on the priority list of someone who was at the top of mine. And I did forgive, over and over and over and over until I realized that it wasn't worth it to keep fighting for that top spot and that there are something things you just can't or don't want to compete with. So I stopped fighting it and let it go. And I do forgive, completely and wholeheartedly. I think it's really difficult in the moment to take a good look at your relationships and be honest with yourself. You fight for things to work out of a sense of obligation, of "this is how things are meant to be", out of indigence ("WTF is wrong with him? He should be counting his lucky stars!"), and because the status quo is a lot safer and more comfortable than having such a giant space ripped into your world, but eventually you realize no amount of work is going to fix the problem. And sooner or (much, much) later you get to a point where you're okay with what happened, and happy that that person came into your life and happier that you know how to move past it. You gotta follow the advice of Ma$e - just "Breathe, Stretch, Shake, Let it Go". Ohmmmmmm.

If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?

Prague! I know it baffles my students, but I absolutely am 100% in love with my new home. It's the perfect sized little city - small enough to navigate easily but big enough to always have something to do. The people are friendly (mostly), it's full of culture, history, modernity and beer, and it's just.so.freaking.beautiful. There is not a day when I'm travelling around that I don't think to myself "Ohhhhh... look at that gorgeous little street!" or "How scrumptious do those pastries look?" or "I'm commuting past a flippin' castle!" Every single day brings some holy crap moment where I'm either shocked/stunned/surprised/educated/impressed by something. I love the life I have here and the people that are in it. 

This isn't to say that I wouldn't be open to moving somewhere else fabulous for a bit (Paris, peut-ĂȘtre?), but Prague has my heart. 


Okay, all caught up - will try to be better in the future, but only have ten days to go (though have been late fairly regularly in the first 19 so...). 


No comments:

Post a Comment